Thursday 24 September 2009

Settling in . . .

Today I had a cosy morning curled up on the couch with a mug of cocoa (and, of course, my laptop). We've had a busy week thus far. Isaac has been peddling resumes about town, and had an interview of sorts this afternoon (at one of my favourite coffee shops, hurray!). I spent the better parts of Monday and Tuesday slogging through recent journal articles and enjoyed a day off yesterday for a "welcome to graduate school, O English students" seminar that lasted all day and included a free lunch and was followed by a wine and nibbles reception (the nibbles were leftovers from the lunch and thus seemed rather substantial indeed). Today I spent what seemed like hours in lines to matriculate, an endeavor which was fraught with complications (I left my visa at the flat and poor Isaac had to dash back to retrieve it, my ID card went absent due to lack of photo even though when I went to be photographed they found a photo in my account, and--the best part--the individual who will be changing my name on paper next week, who was in the registration building today, asked me to get the registrar to verify my certified copy and fax it to him. Ah, administration. I also stood in the "health services" line for twenty minutes, as required, only to find out that I'm still enrolled (hurray--no paperwork) and Isaac, as a non-student, can't be enrolled at matriculation). I do, however, have an ID card now, although it doesn't (yet) work in the buildings I wish to enter. Ah well. Tomorrow I'm attending an all-day seminar on how to be a productive researcher, and then will eventually have a chance to return to research. Eventually.

I'm really in love with my research, as well as the amazing staff and my fellow students I've met (or seen again) at English department gatherings recently. I am truly blessed to have the most amazing supervisor and a wonderful second supervisor as well. Our flat is gorgeous and the sea is amazing. We wish you would all come visit.

And, as a special treat, our flat (please note the flowers and champagne from our landlords and the supper Isaac so carefully prepared).

No comments:

Post a Comment