Monday 5 October 2009

Monday, Monday . . .

This morning, Isaac had his first early shift at the cafe in which he works. We were out the door of our flat by 6.45 and had a beautiful "commute" along the beach as the sun rose over the water, reflected in the wet sand. Sadly, I was carrying a great deal of soup and bypassed the camera this morning, but rest assured that we had the most glorious commute I've ever enjoyed . . . and I'll be taking the camera on another morning, I promise!

We had a lovely and exciting weekend as well. One of my friends here took us out driving with a ordnance map, which clearly marks a number of older and/or ruined buildings in the area. We first visited a lovely old castle . . .


. . . then found a beautiful roofless church nestled in amid a number of fields . . . [please note the cow on the hillside just past the church on the right].

. . . and discovered our last castle (not pictured) was half an archway standing straight up in the middle of a large field.

After a delicious lunch, a trip to the grocery store, and afternoon tea with a dear friend, I strolled home along the beach, dashed into the house, and dragged Isaac back outside with me to see the full moon rising over the North Sea. As you can see, it was gorgeous; the sand reflected just a tiny bit of sunset and the wet sand gleamed like silver in the moonlight. Our house (be jealous) is less than three minutes' walk from this glorious location.

We enjoyed lunch with some dear church friends on Sunday, and I spent my first Sunday morning in the college church (my favourite church building ever) while Isaac cooked away in the cafe. It has been a lovely week!

3 comments:

  1. Three minutes from the water? *shudder* Where are all the cornfields?

    ReplyDelete
  2. (And incidentally, my Google verification word for that last comment was "hazymor," which seems an apt descriptor of your locale.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, we've got grain fields in abundance. They don't have corn, of course, but there are lots of fields of wheat and oats up here.

    :)

    ReplyDelete