Sunday 1 November 2009

Sunset strolls and (a) soggy Sunday . . .

Work, work, work . . .

We've kept pretty busy this past week, though Isaac eventually had a few days off, which gave him some time to unwind. I've been out late each evening attending lectures (four in as many days) and have been longing for some quiet evenings at home. Those will come, no doubt. I'm meeting with my supervisor this week (which should be particularly interesting as I discovered only today that another scholar has possibly written an abbreviated version of my proposed thesis topic) and will otherwise be reading pretty steadily, D.V.

After five good solid days of work, we enjoyed a lazy morning yesterday and spent the afternoon visiting a local pottery shop (some friends are giving us pottery as a wedding gift!) and taking a walk in nearby Kemback Woods. Although we began our walk around 3.00 and were home by five, the new time change and shortened days meant that we were able to enjoy not only the stunning fall colours, but also sunset over the nearby town of Cupar. Gorgeous!

Today Isaac and I enjoyed communion for the first time since we arrived in Scotland. We've mostly been alternating between the "traditional" and "contemporary" services at our local church. As the skies "pissed" rain all morning, Isaac and I reveled in the warm cosyness of our flat for as long as possible this morning, then dashed to the contemporary (later) service in the downpour. A good friend of ours (also the assistant minister) planned the service to build up, in a non-liturgical but very appropriate way, to the celebration of communion, which was lovely. Afterwards, Isaac and I split a serving of fish & chips and then Isaac headed to the cafe and I to the English Research building. It poured all evening and flooded some as well, so our walk home was a bit puddly, to say the least (apparently a good bit of St. Andrews has flooded). Isaac's now cooking me supper (a lucky wife am I) and we'll hopefully have a chance to relax for the remainder of our evening.

Take care and God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment