Monday 6 May 2013

April Showers

I began the month of April somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean, flying home to see my husband after two weeks of travelling. From that auspicious beginning, I quickly regressed into a semi-stationary lump of marking madness. Most of April the month was lost in a blur of essays and abstracts, as I slogged my way through a stack of papers and other written work at a rate that, looking back, was rather painfully slow (something to improve upon if I end up teaching in the US next year).  My wonderful and patient husband spent the month cooking me meals and trying to make sure I remembered to come home from the office. (My schedule always goes wonky in the British summers, because I expect to work when it is light outside.)

This month, I. and I had the pleasure of enjoying two local experiences previously purchased from online coupon websites. We tried a local Thai restaurant (very nice) and also attended our first rugby game, where the Sheffield Tigers defeated the Leicester Lions, 15-10. We figured out many of the rules as things went along, and were served steak and ale pies at half-time. It was a beatiful sunny day (with pockets of snow on the ground).


Still no news on our plans for next year. This week is my last week of teaching (there are many weeks of exams and essays and marking to come). I. has been enjoying the warmer British weather recently, and I have been desperately trying not to overheat as I walk to work each morning; we are trying to take and enjoy each day as it comes, and so far we have been having a wonderful spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment