Friday 3 September 2010

A Belated Durham Conquest

So, also in July (you know, the one that was two months ago), I ventured to the absolutely amazing medieval town of Durham for a conference. I had a chance to stay in the keep of an 11th century castle, and this is the view from my bedroom on the first (I think!) morning:



This is a view from the steps of the dining hall, of said keep. My room was the single open window at the top of the keep:


Half the conference papers were given in a room decorated with 17th century Flemish tapestries. Here's one (the lighting was unfortunately a bit odd):


I had all my meals in this amazing Great Hall (did I mention it's about a thousand years old?) The armour on the far wall was left behind after Cromwell's army beat a hasty retreat from this same castle in the 17th century.


And the castle pub, where I enjoyed a relaxing drink (to help me sleep) the night before I gave my paper:


The castle also boasts an amazing sandstone chapel from the 11th century (beneath a very pretty 17th century chapel), but it was dark, and few to none of the photos turned out, so you will all have to visit the chapel for yourselves someday.

Also, the nearby cathedral holds the tombs of the Venerable Bede and St. Cuthbert. The evensong I attended was breathtaking.

Jealous yet?

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, Faith... i look at that, and I can't help but hear the Harry Potter theme music :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the writer of HP was from St. Andrews, and wrote the books, primarily, at a little pub in Edinburgh (to which I will take you, if you ever get off your butt and come visit us). But yes--most of the films were filmed at British universities (St. John's, Oxford, if I recall correctly), meaning that there would be many similarities between this university and those.

    Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete