Monday 27 September 2010

Farewell, Summer!

We've been walking around through piles of crisp and crunchy leaves for the past week or so--not glorious coloured leaves, but brown and crunchy ones that make beautiful sounds, instead of pretty pictures. Today I wore a sweater (British word: jumper) for the first time in months (and was then too warm, but, that's how it goes).

Anyway, in honour of the end of summer (and because I'm traditionally very far behind with my blog posts) here are a few photos from a picnic we enjoyed a month (or so) ago.

We hiked to the Rock and Spindle (a favourite) late one evening.

With the following stunning view of the sea,

we built a small fire in the lee of a rock, then roasted fish and vegetables over the flame.


As if this weren't enough, we topped off our supper by roasting marshmallows (they're firmer and come in pink and white) over the coals and sandwiching them between two chocolate-covered digestive biscuits.

The result:


A very delicious dessert, British style.

Term has begun (technically, today). I won't have a literature tutorial this fall, but will be teaching a Writing Lab of sorts for any students who wish to attend it. Although I'm very slightly disappointed, it will nevertheless afford me a pretty good opportunity to buckle down on my thesis, which is a very good thing. Life is still up in the air and pretty busy, so . . . you know. I'll stay occupied nonetheless.

[Edit: One more photo from our seaside cookout. This was the view of St. Andrews we enjoyed on our walk home . . .

God bless.]

No comments:

Post a Comment