Wednesday 7 December 2011

DPP Day 7: Travel Views

I don't regret our move to Edinburgh very often, and to be quite honest, the things I miss in St Andrews are mostly people and experiences. It is difficult to have supper out, or enjoy a night at the pub with friends, and still get home. Attending parties--such as a good friend's Thanksgiving bash last month--requires careful attention to bus and train times, deliberate advance planning, and the willingness to leave a party an hour or two earlier than we would normally depart.

My Thursday commute is sometimes an exhausting one, and one timed to the minute (except that I am a little paranoid about missing the train, so I actually budget 15 minutes at the rail schedule into my travel time). The essays handed in two weeks ago have been the new bane of my life, however, and I've ended up travelling to St Andrews on five separate days, sometimes by bus (literally a nauseating prospect) and sometimes by train (my preferred transit, but also a slightly more expensive one). I've spent nearly twenty hours on busses and trains in the past two weeks!

Tonight as I was coming home after another day of essay marking (and a forgotten School party, and a meeting with my advisor) I looked out the window as the train pulled into Waverley and saw a lovely sight: the beautiful Christmas decorations on Prince's Street. This photo doesn't really do them justice, but it is a fairly close approximation of my train-window view, which was a pleasant surprise not only because they were pretty, but because the appearance of the numerous blue lights framed in the windows of the train told me that after a long day of hard work, I had come home at last.

No comments:

Post a Comment