Saturday 23 December 2017

[Belated] DPP 22: O Glowing Light


On days when I. works and I don't, I usually try to go to the Folger library to read and research. I take the metro, which starts out above ground (at home or near the hospital), and then tunnels its way under Washinton D. C.

Emerging into the sunlight at Capitol South is always a little dazzling, but not just because of the light. I'm often overwhelmed by how lucky I am to have this season of reading and research available to me.

On many days, I linger in the city past closing time (4.45). The metro is marginally cheaper and significantly less crowded at 7.00, and it is often worth having a more leisurely trip. Sometimes I go to the Library of Congress to read additional books. Sometimes I visit a coffee shop or pub and write or grade. On days when the weather is good and I don't have pressing tasks looming over me, sometimes I walk to a more distant metro station, enjoying the city sounds and sights along the way.

Yesterday was a balmy fifty degrees Fahrenheit, so I spent my whole two hours walking, first down by the reflecting pool below the capitol (hence the photo above) and then down the mall and some of the side streets. This city is so beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment