Wednesday 6 December 2017

DPP 06: On the Lakefront


Yesterday you got to see part of my campus commute at College A. Today, this is a shot of the lake from College B, albeit a shot with irregular framing. I have determined, from my extensive knowledge of the three community colleges at which I have now taught, that somewhere, on some accreditation document, in the tiniest of tiny letters, must be a phrase that asks, "Do the grounds of the intended community college include a potential or actual large body of water, preferably one that does or shall contain a fountain?" Two is not a trend, but three is suggestive. (Also, at my former now-abandoned job as an essay tutor, I read dozens of freshman composition essays in which students were asked to describe their campus lakes and/or fountains).

At any rate, this is my second physical college of this semester. While I interviewed here first, I turned down the first class I was offered, but was asked to step in for a teacher who needed to step down for the semester due to health concerns. I had a lot of concerns. Stepping in for another teacher mid-semester is probably the biggest challenge I have ever faced in my teaching career, but I have really enjoyed the classes, and they took the complete overhaul of the syllabus, class, and teacher in good stride. (If truth be told, they had had two weeks of cancelled classes and random substitutes before I was cleared to teach, so I think they may have just been grateful to have any permanent person in the room once I started!)

Friday is my last actual class at this campus, and Monday is their exam. It has been a fun, if slightly crazy, semester.

NOn-traditional Christmas song fo the day:
Sue Keller, "My Reindeer Don't Like to Fly"

No comments:

Post a Comment